The warm bone broth and well-cooked vegetables in this soup make it both incredibly nourishing and easy to digest for new moms.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 small parsnips, diced
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 cups bone broth
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or oregano
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- In a soup pot over medium-high heat, warm the 2 Tbs. olive oil. Add the carrots, parsnips and zucchini and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the broth and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley or oregano, and season with salt and pepper
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, One Pot, by Carrolyn Carreño (Oxmoor House, 2008).