After the delivery of a baby, a mother’s digestive power is often diminished, and her digestive system is very delicate. Feeding her the best foods prepared in the easiest-to-digest ways will help ensure that she’s able to process the nutrients she needs to heal and produce milk (if she’s breastfeeding).
The following suggestions are time-tested from the ancient system of natural healthcare called Ayurveda.
- Ricotta cheese
- Cottage cheese
- Other unfermented cheeses
- Boiled milk
- Sesame milk
- Almond milk
- Bone broth
- Well-cooked lentils (after 4 weeks)
- Chicken soup (after 4 weeks)
- Fish soup (after 4 weeks)
- Basmati or white rice (cooked with an extra 1/2 to 1 cup water per cup of rice)
- Sweet potatoes
- Winter squashes
- Freshly squeezed sweet fruit juices
- Sweet, dried fruits (like apricots and prunes) cooked over the stove until soft and mushy
VEGETABLES: (all cooked until soft using plenty of oil)
P.S. Consider posting a sign-up sheet for meals at your baby shower or mother blessing so that you’re not having to do all the cooking postpartum. You can access an online sign-up sheet template that I created here.